HEART offers classroom presentations, consulting services, online resources, conferences, and workshops to empower classroom teachers, school administrators, youth leaders, and concerned citizens with the knowledge and skills to integrate humane education into daily academic lessons, after-school clubs, summer camps and more.
HEART offers many different opportunities for teacher training through in-person programs as well as online resources.
- Lessons and activities on animal issues for grades K – 12
- Educational videos on puppy mills, animal shelters, and animal rescue, as well as “I HEART How To’s”, a series of videos that highlight fun eco, human, and animal friendly projects
- Links to a large list of teaching tools that cover human rights, animal protection, and environmental ethics.
In 2014, some of our teacher training programs included:
- Leading a 36 hour credit-bearing humane education professional development course for schoolteachers through the NYC Department of Education.
- Expanding our public service project with the American Bar Association to Chapel Hill, NC where we trained volunteer attorneys and law students to teach our lessons to local elementary students.
- Teaming up with Rescue Paw Foundation and creating a customized curriculum for elementary school teachers in Lawrence County, one of the poorest counties in Alabama.
- Conducting professional development workshops for NYC teachers at the Chancellor’s Day Conference, showing them how to incorporate humane education in their curricula.
“You taught the kids that it is ‘cool to care’ and that they can make a change in the community. Please come back next year!” – NYC public school teacher
We are also please to announce the introduction of our new Certified HEART Instructor Program, a certificate program to expand our geographic reach and tap into talent across the country. HEART certified instructors will go through a rigorous training process to earn their certification. Stay tuned for details!
To learn about future teacher training opportunities, please sign up for our e-newsletter.
HEART offers various consulting services. We provide administrators and educators with individual assistance and guidance in implementing humane education into school curricula. We receive requests for information on humane education instruction and evaluation from teachers who have participated in the Humane Living Program and from educators who have learned of our programs. HEART shares its Humane Living Program curriculum content with interested educators, answers questions and offers guidance, and also directs teachers to humane education sites and specialists.
To inquire about HEART’s consulting services please get in touch through our contact page.
“Taking the Humane Education p-course influenced my personal approach to teaching by giving me tools to incorporate new material into my classroom. It inspired me to bring humane education values into the classroom in a way that allowed students to have a broader understanding of current events and helped them develop possible solutions through knowledge and critical thinking. Ultimately, as a new teacher the course gave me a broader definition of teaching and showed me that any curriculum can be expanded with humane education.” – NYC Public School Teacher